Looking for something different in your music options? Check out these five Portland string ensembles and fall in love with their unique sounds! From classical to bluegrass to world music, each group has something special to offer. Whether you’re a fan of classical music or prefer something a little more experimental, these groups are sure to please.
Classical strings in Portland
For classical string lovers, Portland is a hidden gem. There are plenty of options for classical music lovers to explore, from the Portland Symphony Orchestra to Chamber Music Northwest.
If you’re looking for an exhilarating experience, the Oregon Youth Philharmonic’s string ensemble is a great choice. Not only are the performances exciting, but the organization is highly respected and has a rich history.
For those who prefer a more relaxed evening at home, the Oregon Conservatory of Music offers both chamber music and jazz programs. While the conservatory isn’t as well-known as some of the other Portland string ensembles, their programs are well worth considering.
No matter what your taste in classical music, Portland has something for you.
Bluegrass ensembles in Portland
If you’re a fan of acoustic music, then the Oregon Banjo and String Alliance might be a good place to start. The Oregon Banjo and String Alliance is a non-profit organization founded in 1957 that offers instruction, performance, and outreach opportunities for all types of string instrument players. From classical to bluegrass to world music, their concerts are always filled with energy and joy.
The Portland Bluegrass Alliance has been playing together since 1971, and they have been nominated for a Grammy Award several times. Their repertoire spans from classical pieces by Johann Sebastian Bach, Gioachino Rossini, and George Frideric Handel to traditional bluegrass tunes like “Dancing In The Streets” and “Welfare Blues”.
Whether you’re new to bluegrass or an experienced fan, be sure to check out one of the Portland Bluegrass Alliance’s upcoming concerts!
Folk and world music ensembles in Portland
When it comes to folk and world music ensembles, Portland is definitely one of the hotspots in the country. From classical to bluegrass to world fusion, there’s a string ensemble out there that will fit your musical needs.
One of the most well-known ensembles in Portland is the Oregon Philharmonic Orchestra. Focusing on classical and traditional music, this group is a great place to start if you’re looking for traditional strings sounds.
However, if you’re looking for something a little more contemporary, Blue Whale String Quartet is a great option. With their modern takes on classical music, you won’t be disappointed.
And if you want to experience some truly unique sounds, check out Earthworks Chamber Music. Featuring world fusion and traditional instruments together, this ensemble is a must-see for music lovers of all types.
Not only are these groups great for classical and traditional music lovers, but they also offer something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a mellow experience or something more upbeat, these ensembles have it all. So why not give them a try this weekend? You won’t regret it!
Jazz ensembles in Portland
Jazz has a long and illustrious history in Portland, dating back to the early 20th century. Today, there are many great jazz ensembles in the city that fans of the genre will want to check out. Some of the most popular groups include The Oregonians, The Soul Giants, and The Marty Goodman Orchestra.
Not only do these groups produce incredible music, but they also help to promote the city’s arts scene. By performing at local venues and sponsoring local artists, these ensembles help to enrich Portland’s cultural landscape.
Whether you’re a longtime fan of jazz or you’ve just discovered its charms, you’ll definitely want to check out some of Portland’s great string ensembles!
Portland’s string ensembles
When it comes to classical strings in Portland, there’s nothing like the sound of the Pacific Symphony Orchestra. Founded in 1947, the PSO is one of the most respected and well-known orchestras in the country. The orchestra specializes in a wide range of classical music, from Mozart to Beethoven to Wagner, but they’re equally skilled at performing modern classics such as John Adams and Edward Elgar.
While the PSO is undoubtedly a powerhouse when it comes to classical string music, there are countless other string ensembles that deserve your attention. One of the city’s most popular ensembles is the Laurelwood Guitar Band. Formed in 1984, the LGB is known for its virtuosic performances of bluegrass and country music. With an eclectic mix of instruments – from guitar to banjo to fiddle – the band always delivers an exciting show.
If you’re looking for something a little more progressive, the Urban Folk Orchestra is definitely worth checking out. Based in Northwest Portland, the UFO features world music from all corners of the globe. Covering everything from South American folklore to traditional Chinese music, the ensemble always offers a unique and interesting experience.
If you’re a jazz fan, you can’t miss the Northwest Jazz Orchestra. Started in 1978, the NWJO is one of the longest running jazz ensembles in Oregon and boasts an impressive roster of alumni including Wynton Marsalis and David Sanborn. Whether you’re a fan of traditional or contemporary jazz, you’ll be blown away by their virtuosity and creativity.
And finally, if you’re looking for something mellower and more relaxing, try out one of Portland’s top five string ensembles listed here. From classical pieces to soothing acoustic songs, these groups will have you feeling all wraped up in a soft blanket of sound.
Whether you’re a classical music lover or you’re looking for something a little more modern, Portland has a string ensemble for you. From bluegrass to folk to world music, these groups have something for everyone. And with a variety of venues and performances to choose from, there’s sure to be a string ensemble that appeals to you.
- The Oregon Music Scene in 2016 – The Essential Guide to the Local Music SceneIntroduction: What are Portland’s Top 3 Music Groups? Portland is a vibrant city with a long history of music. It has produced some of the most popular musicians in the world. The city has also become known for its art scene, especially in the visual arts. Portland’s music scene is one of the most creative […]
- How to keep Portland’s music scene thriving without a lot of people and money?Why You Deserve to Keep Portland’s Music Scene Alive & Well Without Big Money Portland is known as a music city, but there’s a lot of noise in the city. The noise and the lack of talent are due to the fact that Portland has a lot of bars, clubs and music venues. In this […]
- The Jazz Master’s Secret to a Happy and Successful LifeIf you want to be a happy and successful person, then you should heed the advice of jazz greats like Duke Ellington. These masters suggest that happiness comes from accepting who you are and finding fulfillment in your work. They also suggest that you surround yourself with positive people and live in a stimulating environment. […]
- The Top 5 Ways to Save the Music IndustryThe music industry is in a precarious situation, and there are a number of ways to help save it. From increasing the budget for music rights to supporting indie bands, there are many ways to contribute to the industry’s health. The music industry is in a precarious situation. The music industry is experiencing a number […]
- How to Find the Right Travel Agent for YouIf you’re ready to take your travels up a notch, it’s time to find the perfect travel agent. But which one is right for you? Here’s how to find the perfect fit for your needs. What to consider when choosing a travel agent There are a few key things to keep in mind when picking […]
- The Ultimate Guide to Earning a Living as a MusicianDo you dream of being a musician and making a living from your music? Well, this comprehensive guide will teach you everything you need to know about earning a living playing music. From tips on networking and marketing your talent to setting up your own business, this guide has everything you need to get started! […]
- How to Deal with Artist Defections and Drama Like a ProIf you’re an artist, you know that there are times when things don’t go as planned – and that’s especially true if you work with other artists. This article provides tips on how to deal with Artist Defections and Drama like a pro, so you can keep your creative process moving forward without any drama. […]
- As Portland Struggles, Artists Fear a Diminishing Cultural SceneAs Portland Struggles, Artists Fear a Diminishing Cultural Scene The loss of the arts in Portland is a worrying trend. Since the early 2000s, the arts scene in Portland has shrunk significantly. Leading arts organizations have seen a drastic decline in attendance rates, and many artists are concerned about the future of the arts in […]
- Five hidden gems worth adding to your music collectionIf you’re a fan of popular music, there’s a good chance you’ve heard songs by some of your favorite artists. But have you ever considered adding some overlooked tracks to your collection? In this roundup, we’re looking at five songs that deserve a place in any music lover’s library. Five overlooked classics worth revisiting While […]